3. Blog: 1600 posts
Search in alonsorobisco
Arthur Prentiss was an American photographer born c.1865 and died c.1940.
He started working at Marshfield, Oregon, in 1908. He worked for the main photographic studios in Oregon between 1913 and 1922.
He moved to Portland where was an early photographer for the Union Pacific Railroad.
In 1913, the photographer Arthur Prentiss joined the Weister Company. The Weister Company was established by George M. Weister in 1895 in Portland, Oregon, selling lantern slides an photographic supplies.
In 1917 Prentiss joined Benjamin A. Gifford, famous Oregon photographer and established the “Gifford and Prentiss” Inc. The Gifford & Prentiss Studio was located on SW Washington between Twelfth and Thirteenth street in Portland and lasted until Gifford retired in 1920. Note that Benjamin Gifford bought Kiser (Kiser Photo Co. Photographs) and many of them are housed in the Gifford and Prentiss photograph collection.
In 1922, Prentiss adquired Weister's Studio and negatives.
Arthur M. Prentiss principal studio, as a single professional photographer, was in 45 Fourth Street in Portland Oregon.
The Gifford photographs collection (Oregon Historical Society, Research Library)contains photographs taken by Benjamin A. Gifford, working alone and in partnerships with Herbert Hale as Gifford & Hale and with Arthur M. Prentiss as Gifford & Prentiss.
Their views of the Columbia River Gorge and the Oregon Coast were published in brochures and other publications.
Photographs by Prentiss are the main part of the nine albums of the Brice P. Disque photographs of the Spruce Production Division of the Bureau of Aircraft Division.
This photographs are a “documentation of construction of logging camps, mills, logging roads and railroads; camp life and the civilians and military personnel engaged in the project; and timber felling, transport, and milling operations”(see University of Oregon Historic Photograph Collections Brice P. Disque photographs, c. 1912-1950).
In 1922 Prentiss adquired Weister’ s Studio and negatives.
The University of Oregon holds “The Angelus Studio photographs collection” which included photographs by Georges Weister, by Arthur Prentiss and also photographs from the Angelus Studio Commercial Photo Company.
Collections with Prentiss vintage photographs (alone and in associaton with Gifford)
Photographs by Prentiss are included in the "Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Collection" hold in the Library of Congres. These photographs are a National Landmark of the history of the United States.
Image ID: 93786
Pioneer statue, campus of the University of Oregon
In December 2008, there was an exhibition by the Portland Art Museum titled "Wild Beauty", with pictures by Charles E. Watkins, Arthur Prentiss, Fred Kiser, Lily E. White, William Henry Jackon and others.
Quotes about Prentiss in these webs
“In 1910, Gifford sold his studio in The Dalles to Charles Lamb and moved back to Portland. He continued to manage a commercial studio and produced a series of photographs of the construction of the Columbia River Highway, which were exhibited at the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition in San Francisco. Benjamin took on another partner, Arthur M. Prentiss, circa 1916. The Gifford & Prentiss Studio was located on SW Washington between Twelfth and Thirteenth in downtown Portland and lasted until Gifford retired in 1920.”
“Many images in the collection were made by the Kiser Brothers or Kiser Photo Company and its photographers but were produced for sale to the public over a long period of time, first by the Kiser Photo Company and then the Winter Photo Company. After Kiser sold part of his business to Winter in 1915, it appears that Kiser continued to make prints from earlier images for which Winter held the negatives, possibly by making copy negatives from original prints. Photographer Benjamin Gifford also bought Kiser negatives and produced them for sale; many of the copy prints in this collection were made from Kiser negatives that are housed in the Gifford and Prentiss photograph collection, Org. Lot 982.”
The Angelus Studio photographs collection is comprised of: glass plate, nitrate, and safety negatives; original and reprinted photographs, and logbooks from the photographic studios of George M. Weister (1862-1922), Arthur M. Prentiss (dates undetermined) and the Angelus Commercial Photo Company of Portland, Oregon. The history of the company, and the relationships between the photographers represented, is complex and not yet fully understood.
George M. Weister began his photographic career in 1888 with the Partridge Photo Company of Portland, Oregon. Following the untimely death of E. J. Partridge in 1891, Weister managed the company until 1893, when he established the Weister-Meek Company. In 1895 Weister established the Weister Company, selling photographic supplies, lantern slides and cameras along with Weister's photographic services. His collection of negatives reportedly dated to 1872. See Weister's Astoria album.
Arthur M. Prentiss joined the Weister Company in 1913 as a photographer and secretary-treasurer. In 1917 Prentiss established Gifford and Prentiss, Inc. with noted Oregon photographer Benjamin A. Gifford (1859-1936). Following Weister's death in 1922 Prentiss acquired Weister's studio and collection of negatives.”